Thursday, January 20, 2011

Catalog Tutorial: Subject Search 2, Browse Shelf

Tutorial Direct (Full Size) Link: http://www.screencast.com/t/zRlp3vpRlUF4

1:24 minutes
file format: swf (requires Adobe Flash Player to play)

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

Want it full size? Start the video and click the button in the lower right corner.

Transcript:
Another useful way to find books on the same Subject is “Browse
Shelf”.

This is the record of the book “Happiness : the science behind your smile “. I can click on the “Browse Shelf” link next the Call Number to see other books next to it on the shelf just as if I am standing in front of the physical shelf in the library. By clicking the left and the right arrows, I can browse further. This could be very useful as books on the same subject will be next to each other, as you can see from the titles. I may find books that I may not have found otherwise! The limit to this function is that I am only seeing items in one location, in this case, the Pasco main collection. I am not seeing books on the same subject in other locations such as reference and medical library. Therefore, it is a good feature to use to supplement to your other searches. This concludes the browse by call number demo. Thanks for watching.

y.y.

0 Comments: